With Kennedy's first birthday fastly approaching (tomorrow), I decided to do a post dedicated one of her finest attributes, her HAIR!
We knew that Kennedy would have hair even before she was born because we saw it on an ultrasound when I was 36 weeks pregnant. But what didn't know is how much she would have! I don't know how many times I've been told by perfect strangers that they've never seen so much hair on a baby or being asked her age and people being shocked because my answer is much younger than what they expected me to say. I have to admit that I don't like to be the center of attention and so it was wierd to me to be stared at when baby Kennedy and I were out and about.
The first time that I took Kennedy out was when she was about 5 weeks old and we went to the mall to do some birthday shopping for Brandon. We were at University Mall and I was sitting in a chair feeding her a bottle outside of Nordstroms and I just kept feeling people stare at us as they walked by. There was even a little girl that whispered to her mom, "Mom, did you see that baby's hair?".
I guess the issue for me was not how much hair she had but that it was totally unmanageable. The girl had very CRAZY hair back then. I invested in about a dozen types of gel, pomade, you name it and decided that K-Y actually held it in place the best, with little flaking. I even started blowing her hair dry after her baths to try and get it to lay down a little. Who blow drys their 4 month old's hair?
Over time I expected Kennedy's hair to start falling out, but I guess when you have hair like hers, it stays for good. It just kept growing and growing and eventually it was long enough to start fixing. At 6 1/2 months old, she got her first hair cut. I had to trim her bangs because they were always hanging in her eyes and the long hair in the back was really mullet-ish. About the same time she was sitting up well enough to sit on the counter and have her hair curled. By the time she was 9 months old, I was having to fix her hair on a daily basis and I often curl it with the curling iron too because it looks so darn cute. (And no, we've had no burning incidents, I'm very skilled with the curling iron)
I had to blog about her hair because as she grows older, it will be less and less of a distinctive feature. So here's to Kennedy, her 1st birthday and her fabulous hair!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Hair, Hair, Long, Beautiful Hair!
Posted by McKinney's at 1:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is Kim's friend Melanie (Faith's mom) from work. I just had to comment on this post because Kennedy does have amazing hair! Those pictures are adorable. Oh my goodness - if we could just borrow one tenth of it - Faith would be in good shape. Happy Birthday cute Kennedy!!!
Happy birthday Kennedy! I brought a present over to ALyce Jaynes for Kennedy! That is soooooo crazy that she is already a year! WOW and she is looking a little more like you Traci! I think she is a doll!
I found a sweet video that goes with your song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYGP3CIT4r4
Post a Comment